Friday, May 20, 2016

One Week - An Autobiographical Ficlet About Blessings

One Week

A recent Monday began with a dreaded medical checkup. Not fun, but necessary. I entered the hospital nervously, as much over dealing with people as regarding the procedure itself.

The technician acted professional, upbeat, and friendly. Only when I mentioned something personal did I learn that her demeanor hid sleep wrecking nervousness concerning her profession. For the first time in ages, I hugged a stranger and the social anxiety plaguing my morning faded far away. I certainly don't have to worry about any life endangering mistakes.

Days later I found myself approached by a former colleague at the local gym. He shared delightful news about his son and the fact that he happily remarried a few months back. There was a catch, though. His very ill wife remains in an intensive care unit after months of unsuccessful treatment. She may not live.

I practically rejoiced now over the inconvenience of a preventive medical test. My little family safely awaited me at home. And lifting weights took on renewed meaning. I am healthy and strong.

The next afternoon I stood by my vegetable garden, thrilled to see beet seedlings. Thinning them to one out of three, I was startled by a neighbor approaching. He lives several doors down in the opposite direction.

I heard the lady of the house say his name and wondered again at his appearance without hearing the rest. He replied without turning, words I still did not catch, then she approached. A warm clasp met my arm before she spoke.

"I believe someone broke into our house."

Stunned in this quiet suburban neighborhood's sunshine flooded afternoon, I heard our neighbor confirm her suspicion. Police officers arrived in two squad cards shortly thereafter. At least nobody got harmed, including the family dog.

I left the daughter's sobbing canine reunion in respectful silence. No longer did our rising home security bill seem such a burden.

-

It's easy to wallow in minor misfortune or discontent, then one need only watch the news to learn how much worse life can be. How often does the fact strike close to home for you?

-

14 comments:

  1. Yes, it's good to remember that what may seem like burdens are really blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz. Wise words, and I appreciate you for taking time to read and comment.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I'm a big believer in counting blessings--whether it is just the birds singing outside my window as I work or a neighbor bringing me some fresh produce from her garden, these are things to be grateful for!!!

    @Kathleen01930 Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely words, Kathleen. May you enjoy many blessings on a regular basis. And happy writing!

      Delete
  3. Too often, I've experienced the impact of devastation and, sometimes at the same time, been spared worse. I've learned to be thankful even when I'm still reeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are an inspiration to me, my dear. Make no mistake of that. Bless you!

      Delete
  4. OH my!!! That's so scary. i'm glad you have a security system. We have one now, too, although we're pretty far out in the middle of nowhere. I still feel a little freaked out when my husband's out of town, even with the alarm set. I think I've watched too much CSI!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do take care, Stephanie. I was just telling a neighbor how my grandmother's home in the country was broken into more than once, though that was decades ago. Things might be different now because our problem is heroin addiction more than anything, I think. Best wishes!

      Delete
  5. This is really a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That means a lot to me. Blessings to you and yours, my dear.

      Delete
  6. It's amazing how our perspective changes when we allow ourselves to listen and observe the lives of others. Glad to know that you are well and safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really appreciated your post on joyful religious faith. It brightened my day, for sure.

      Delete
  7. I agree wholeheartedly...sometimes blessings come disguised as challenges. We learn, we go on. Sometimes we are even better off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree wholeheartedly. Thank you for stopping by and leaving such uplifting words. Be well!

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!