Thirteen things I can see from my picnic table at the park. I decided to write at lunchtime, and this odd little exercise came to mind. Let’s see…
1. A bag of pretzels, now scattered those for the birds, the bag tossed – why are people such pigs?
2. Butterflies, too far away to determine breeds
3. A big yellow beetle whose type I’ve never noted before
4. Robins, patrolling the field for insects
5. One large squirrel, not something I see here every day
6. An abandoned playground set, which Mr. Squirrel is now checking out
7. Distant shimmers from the hot summer sun
8. No crows – I’m seriously surprised and rather disappointed in their absence today
9. A port-o-pot, one reason outside of crowds that I avoid going to most summer festivals
10. Falling leaves, reminding me that cooler days will be here before I know it
11. A tiny, curious bee who seems to think there’s something good to eat around here
12. Still more plastic bags – how many do I have to pick up today?
13. And yes, a garbage can, several, in fact, in strategic points all over this park