I’ve needed to face a lot of stress at my day job lately that has me wondering if facing that place every day is worth the money. My partner, accustomed to a certain lifestyle, insists the answer is yes. So I’m going to list thirteen things, besides the paycheck, which are good about my place of work.
1. The company will pay for one pair of safety shoes every year, which means I haven’t paid for sneakers in years.
2. My office is only ten minutes from my house.
3. There is virtually never overtime required.
4. Nobody looks over my shoulder as I perform my duties.
5. My wardrobe can be as outlandish as I like. Marilyn Manson provides some deliciously rude images and slogans, though I do wear a jacket to hide the back of my “I am the God of f@%#” shirt.
6. I can sometimes write fiction if my tasks are done and there are no crises.
7. We’re sometimes allowed to leave early if things are quiet.
8. Holidays are paid time off.
9. Management usually leaves me out of pointless meetings.
10. Upper management offices are at the opposite end of the building.
11. Either people don’t notice or don’t care that I wear a right earpiece for constant iPod listening.
12. The climate control is fairly consistent.
13. A decent municipal park is mere minutes away for bird watching as I study Japanese on my lunch break.
PS Check out a link to a Josh Lanyon interview posted below on 8/9. Though the Nighlight blog is adult oriented, his comments on writing are sheer G-rated fun and enlightenment. The author's kind gift of his time and experience was a true blessing!