Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thursday Thirteen

I’ve needed to face a lot of stress at my day job lately that has me wondering if facing that place every day is worth the money. My partner, accustomed to a certain lifestyle, insists the answer is yes. So I’m going to list thirteen things, besides the paycheck, which are good about my place of work.

1. The company will pay for one pair of safety shoes every year, which means I haven’t paid for sneakers in years.

2. My office is only ten minutes from my house.

3. There is virtually never overtime required.

4. Nobody looks over my shoulder as I perform my duties.

5. My wardrobe can be as outlandish as I like. Marilyn Manson provides some deliciously rude images and slogans, though I do wear a jacket to hide the back of my “I am the God of f@%#” shirt.

6. I can sometimes write fiction if my tasks are done and there are no crises.

7. We’re sometimes allowed to leave early if things are quiet.

8. Holidays are paid time off.

9. Management usually leaves me out of pointless meetings.

10. Upper management offices are at the opposite end of the building.

11. Either people don’t notice or don’t care that I wear a right earpiece for constant iPod listening.

12. The climate control is fairly consistent.

13. A decent municipal park is mere minutes away for bird watching as I study Japanese on my lunch break.

PS Check out a link to a Josh Lanyon interview posted below on 8/9. Though the Nighlight blog is adult oriented, his comments on writing are sheer G-rated fun and enlightenment. The author's kind gift of his time and experience was a true blessing!

8 comments:

  1. That's a good list of things, though!

    *hugs*
    Paige

    My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. While it would be hard to find another job with that kind of freedom, sometimes you just can't take the BS a moment longer. (And I know because I've been there.) Wishing you patience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darla, this is something I'm grappling with, too. Robin response sums up my feelings perfectly.

    Good luck, with whatever you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are all lucky pluses to any work place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some serious positives. I'd have to say that in the current economy, I'd have to think hard about leaving some of those perks.

    Still, as Robin said, sometimes it's just not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome post, Darla! I love the idea of Gratitude for our daily round. It can lead to lots of good things, even positive change. Best of luck in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't agree more with what Robin said. Sending lots of positive vibes and prayers your way. *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for the kind words! I'm doing better since I wrote that. It didn't hurt to spend a little dough on fun stuff. I'm breathing better and looking for a quiet afternoon to study Japanese for a bit if I'm really lucky. :) What a blessing you all are!

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!