Thursday, May 11, 2023

Missing

I’ve missed blog posting and reading others’ these past several weeks. Life took an unexpected and unwelcome turn. Following his successful surgery, my husband turned into a lump on the couch. A friend gave me a pep talk inspiring me to get him walking. That lasted three days with him shuffling to the edge of our narrow property and just a few succeeding feet further. Day four, Sunday May seventh, he complained of excruciating pain.

While I shopped for something, anything, he might find palatable, he at last slept in the bed for the first time since his prostatectomy. We thought that might help. Alas, he requested an ambulance late Sunday night. A panicked Polly tried to bolt as paramedics wheeled out his gurney. Gathering her up, thereby getting a favorite shirt plus myself ripped open a bit by one of her many extra claws, I failed to hear where my husband wanted to be transported.

By four o’clock in the morning I’d ascertained his location and drove over to visit. At any rate, he’s home resting after the better part of a week. God forgive me, I wish they had not released him today, hoping his helplessness would remain someone else’s problem for a while longer. ~hangs head~ Bless those who take care of invalids full time.

My mother proved a trial before her passing but at least I had an excuse to leave town and return home. This is home. ~sigh~ Getting him in the car, driving to pick up medications, abandoning that to receive delivered medical equipment, being trained on it, settling him on the aforementioned couch, returning to the pharmacy, and picking up fast food, I found still more needs to fulfill. Thank heaven for kitty antics making me laugh.

His brothers are coming to visit this weekend from various hours away. My tearful conversations prompted the fraternal visit, making me feel thankful and guilty at the same time. His care seemed beyond my ability. But we seem to be doing better than I expected. Forgive me also, dear reader, for my whining.

How sweet is it that my husband’s siblings want to check our wellbeing? What might you crave after a week of hospital food?

-

17 comments:

  1. Oh no, I'm so sorry. Are you and he ok? What can I do to help? Is he going to get better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What happened? I heard to have a prostate removed causes incontinence, which is why many men don't do it, unless their urine flow is down to almost nothing but they are still ambulatory and able to care for themselves. Did something go wrong?

      Delete
    2. You're very kind. What happened is that he didn't drink enough water and developed a UTI. He is getting better.

      Delete
  2. WOW, you've both sure been through a lot and I'm so sorry, I can tell that the stress level was sure up there. I hope all works out just fine now and we all send hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, miss Darla- It sure sounds like you've had your hands full and have been in much need of some assistance. I know it'll sound cheesy, but all those mentally & physically draining duties you mentioned are summed up with one word: LOVE. Me and dad hope the hubby's recovery continues in the right direction and things get easier for you. Don't hesitate to put his brothers to work while there so you can maybe get a breather? Be well, our best to you and the hubby, and Happy Mother's Day, dear cat mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, you've been busy. Caretaking sucks, but it's someone you care for, so you just gotta do what you gotta do. Are there any services in your area with part-time caregivers? I know there's a service of volunteers to sit with dying patients, so I wonder if there's something similar for those who are healing and will get better.

    Take care. The blogs will still be here when things get back to a more normal footing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What would I want after a week of hospital, well, most of the hosp food I had was never the best and at the point of eating it for a week I would have to say ANYTHING! lol...I am so sorry to hear about hubs, but why was he in so much pain? And what actually was the issue that caused him to have to stay so long in the hosp? Oh my gosh, taking care of someone after surgery is not easy but when that surgery makes them almost ridden to the bed it becomes so much harder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can imagine that must be really tough. I hope you get assistance nearby that will to a great extent give comfort to both your husband as well as you. My prayers for his quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry I missed this post. I will be praying for your husband and for you. It is hard to take care of a loved one. XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very sorry that I'd missed this post!
    The Hubby had the same surgery in April, and he had complications too.
    Once the correct meds were given, things settled down, and he began his recovery.
    I too was overwhelmed, especially since we lost power at home right when they finally released him.
    Hugs and purrs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best wishes to you, my dear. I hope you are both doing great.

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!