Friday, April 14, 2023

A Sudden Farewell

Monday, April 10 started out better than most of late. My husband had surgery the Tuesday prior and I’d been coughing for weeks. So I woke feeling pretty well and decided on a garden center visit.

Then I saw Jezebel stumbling around. It was as if her left rear leg wouldn’t support her weight. I immediately called our vet clinic.

A sleepy Jezebel back in February...

No doubt my post title tells the tale. With the clinic’s booked schedule, I dropped her off so they could fit her in and called hours later to learn her status. As it happened, the vet was about to phone me.

She said nobody believed her geriatric age (about 20) but the planned X-ray showed a tumor. Almost guaranteed aggressive cancer, she could prescribe an anti-inflammatory and tranquilizer.

Huh? Why?


I drove back with tears pouring down my face. Due to his post surgical condition my husband couldn’t attend. Thankfully, our kitty sisters keep me laughing. Yet the house seems too quiet.


Jezzy was almost certainly deaf and I took to calling her ‘Mighty Mouth’ (like Mighty Mouse come to save the day!) because she would meow shout for food/attention. Thank heaven we had so much time with her.

Can you believe several staffers, who see euthanasia daily, cried with me? How can I convince my husband’s lack of attendance shouldn’t make him feel guilty?

-

23 comments:

  1. I'm so very sorry for the loss of your see baby. Big healing hugs. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet baby. More healing hugs. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry. The wrench of losing a loved pet is so hard to bear, and this was so sudden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, I'm so very, very sorry and sad to hear the news about your sweet Jezebel. Love and hugs from all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, this is too sad.
    Hugs and purrs to you.
    Farewell, Angel Jezebel.
    Your husband feels guilty but he shouldn't; she knows she was/is loved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so very sorry for your loss. So sudden. I guess it's better that way, really.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry for your loss. I wish I had words of comfort, but there are none. No matter how old they are, it is never long enough. Sending you love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Jezebel, what a long grand life you lived! RIP. I know how much you will miss her Darla, but you did good for her. And yeah, why, good decision.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, no! I am sad for your loss. I have had our cats leaving us like this. So, I can relate to what you feel. Farewell, Jezebel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am tearing up myself. It is never easy to say good bye to the ones we love. After 20 yrs, its even harder. Since I have blogged with you, this is two for you. I think 3 for me. I still miss THE KING so much. Its hard. HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I grieve with you. I know that terrible pain. It goes on for a long time and gradually gets more bearable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear, I'm so sorry to learn of sweet Jezebel's passing. My heart goes out to you. So sudden. I most certainly feel your pain. (Smudge's dad)

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!