Monday, September 27, 2021

Diet Sprite

I feel so fortunate that we live in a comfortable home among nice neighbors. For whatever reason, however, this ranch style abode with a walkout basement has flooded more times than I can count.

Two separate water heaters failed, both dumping their entire contents. Another time the cellar toilet broke. I even failed to unhook the garden hose our first winter here. At least that waterfall could be turned off.

Some of the less destructive incidents, not all confined to downstairs, are mindboggling. One drinking water tote sprung a leak after being mysteriously crushed (?) and a jug of distilled water long stored beneath the hall bathroom sink dripped out through a sudden (?!) pinhole. We even have reverse issues like the seldom used bathtub faucet that stopped flowing.

We named the culprit a water sprite and know it could be worse. Referencing my title, no events left a sticky mess.

There are scars. Half the cellar carpeted, ragged edges resulted from being pulled up several times. A crack in the brick chimney foundation (!?!), at last detected and repaired, left lingering mildew concerns. And we weren’t the first to suffer, it would seem.

I wish my laptop skin dragon could come to the rescue...
Can you believe someone left a roll of Christmas wrapping paper beneath the stairs to camouflage some water stained drywall? How did the home inspector miss that? And who carpets a basement anyway?

-

19 comments:

  1. We don't have many basements here and I'm okay with that. I've heard so many basement horror stories.

    Have a fabulous day and week, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good gosh! What a dilemma! I amazed at all the Water Sprites malicious mischiefs! We must ship you in some other cats to catch that thing and put it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be looking for the nearest Native American shaman to take the water sprite hex off of your house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those messes are not fun at all and the water needs to stay where it belongs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a good inspector. I think you need a dehumidifier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand....owning a home is not always easy when things go wrong. I have a place in the corner of the basement that doesn't really leak but will seep mositure. I still need to get down there and scrub that then I want to seal it. There is a place in the den bathroom that concerns me...I think the brick o blocks also seep mositure in there, behind the paneling that was put up. Does not smell like mildrew or anything so I don't think it is that bad. But still things that need fixing. Always something that needs fixing. I have carpet in the den, which is under ground like the basement, but that will have to come up cause I have already spilled paint several times on the carpet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes, you do have your water problems. Perhaps you need to Feng Shui the basement. What's the opposite of water...? Earth. You need to use yellow and flat shapes to combat the water. Although, in Chinese thought, water is linked to money...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! You certainly dealt with your damage issues. I'm glad your ceiling finally got repaired. Be well!

      Delete
  8. O, that sounds like a horrible mess.
    Here too such things happen during the rainy season. Basements get flooded when theresn't enough room for water to run off.

    Twice, water seeped into home. That happened because there was some blockage in the outlet pipes and water got accumulated and began seeping in from under balcony door. It took some time for us to clean up the mess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pinhole water bottle leak. I had that heppen too, out in the garage. I wondered if it was a cat claw, or even a thirsty mouse. But who in the world would carpet a moisture capturing basement? Maybe someone with a teen son who lived down there, or someone with a relative they wanted to hide away really well, so they stashed them in the basement and locked the door above, double locked it, and sent foot down a chute of some sort, when they remembered. Bwah ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just remembered that the cellar 'bedroom' has Jurassic Park themed border on the walls. So teen son, yeah. Shamefully, I regret never doing anything proper with that room aside storage. And I adore your 'evil' mind. We do not have a chute for food or clothes, though, which makes me feel marginally better. Heh...

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!