Friday, August 31, 2018

Calling a Spade a Spade

When I was a wee lass, my maternal grandfather taught me to play solitaire, then double solitaire. We would sit and play hand after hand in their kitchen, his little television off to the side, often tuned into some professional wrestling match.

Jack of Spades
I remember being young enough that he made a point of teaching me the different shapes, pointing out the colors. These days I’ve returned to playing solitaire on my old iPod Classic, especially when I’m feeling ill (which seems to be happening a lot this allergy season). At any rate, watching the cards flick past, I identify them in my head during play. A heart looks like a Valentine, diamonds have the traditional four corners, and the spade (as Grandpa taught) looks like a pointy ended spade style shovel.

Why on earth are the clubs not called clovers?

That shape is nothing like a mace weapon
(aka a club) either; don't you agree?

-

6 comments:

  1. Some historians have suggested that suits in a deck were meant to represent the four classes of Medieval society. Cups and chalices (modern hearts) might have stood for the clergy; swords (spades) for the nobility or the military; coins (diamonds) for the merchants; and batons (clubs) for peasants. Source: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/08/the-lost-origins-of-playing-card-symbols/537786/

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Thank you. I read yesterday that the jack is also indicative of a knave, a sort of scoundrel, which I find odd. Be well!

      Delete
  2. Sweet memory of your Grandpa. Yes, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never considered that the club is more of a clover. I tend to relate them back to the Tarot suits: hearts/cups, diamonds/coins, spades/swords, clubs/wands. Oh, that's why it wasn't odd. Wands can be made from sticks which have leaves on them... That's where my brain goes.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!