Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Misappropriation

The word chosen for my title usually refers to financial misconduct. But Liz A.’s Cinco de Mayo misadventure reminded me of time and money wasted on a long past yet unforgettable disappointment.

Both Mississippi Delta blues music fans, my husband and I traveled over a hundred miles to Indiana’s oldest blues bar and legendary nightspot, The Slippery Noodle. We arrived that evening, show tickets in hand, to discover massive crowds and no available parking. I never considered the month’s significance or that a downtown Indianapolis sports stadium hosted a March Madness basketball game.

Somehow I navigated around countless inebriated pedestrians and found a free spot several blocks from The Noodle. Relief lasted only until we discovered the place packed with still more intoxicated sports fans. Waitresses were so overwhelmed that we could hardly order a drink, let alone the anticipated meal.


At long last served, we relaxed upon seeing the musicians set up. But after a few tunes the performers met with what appeared to be a club manager and, overwhelmed by drunken hecklers, surrendered the stage to a giant descending screen. I imagine management feared a destructive riot.


My husband and I left our table to the screaming fanatics. At my request, he went in search of a (much needed) cocktail while I headed to the ladies room.


On my way I found the headlining band on a second stage. At last! Unfortunately, another sound system interfered further, broadcasting the stupid game at ear splitting decibels.


I cannot imagine how the artists must have felt. They acted calm and cool. My husband and I were outraged that the place turned into a sports bar. Disgusted, we crashed at our hotel, drove home first thing the next morning, and never returned.


Have you ever been annoyed by a sports event preempting a television broadcast? Can you imagine if professional half-time musicians would not allow the Super Bowl to resume? And here’s a dumb final question: do you think my emailed bewilderment received a response?

-

16 comments:

  1. You lasted longer than I would have. Hubby and I would never have even parked. To the hotel and the bar. Just saying.

    You probably didn't get a response from your email as they probably had hundreds of emails. Shame on them.

    Have a fabulous day, Darla. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ignore sports generally. I would be so annoyed at that interruption. But it sounds like it was a pretty important game, so you were doomed from the outset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. ~sigh~ We seem to think a lot alike. Be well!

      Delete
  3. Talk about "Murphy's Law"! "If something can go wrong, it will."

    I'd say you got "Murphy's Law", in spades!!!!

    Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

    ✨🌼✨🌼✨🌼✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least we got out alive. ~grin~ Be well, my dear.

      Delete
  4. I hate all sports so when they interrupt my shows , I get very upset. That sounds like quite an evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. ~grin~ Once upon a time back in the 1990's I enjoyed watching the Cleveland Indians play baseball. It's strange to look back on now, but my husband and I grew up in the area and fandom was a tribal thing including several of my corporate office bosses. The company owned season passes despite being located in greater Dayton. Tickets were near impossible to get, their winning streak selling out all games, so when the guys tossed a pair my way it was off in a flash to reach Cleveland on time. Heh... I really appreciated my coworkers helping me leave early on those rare occasions. :) Take care!

      Delete
  5. Such interruptions are obviously very annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  6. May 21...

    Re: your comment on my blog. I used to lift weights at a gym, a "few" years back! -smile- I loved it!!! But then I started taking "Free Nana Day Care" of our first grand daughter.

    Do you have any objects, which can act as weights, you can use at home? Like 5lb. cans or etc.?

    Open up!
    With masks/distancing.
    Compromised people,
    Stay home!
    ✨🌸✨🌼✨🌷✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have some weights and an exercise mat. :) Sorry you had to give up the gym. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  7. Oh gawd, I hate sports and drunken fans. I don't get religiously screaming and chanting and drinking over devotion to a sports team. A boyfriend I had said some folks need outlets for otherwise boring meaningless lives, and do so by trying to belong to something. he also thought people need to mindlessly let off steam and act nuts and sports devotionals, tail gating, provide that function. I can see that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he makes good, if sad, points. It's like those ancient Roman Bread and Circuses to pacify the unwashed masses. Oh, I see you made the same point! That's cool.

      Delete
  8. I can't imagine how the musicians maintained their calm, let you know guys, who drove so far, made all those arrangements. My boyfriend also called the regalia and drunken parties around sports modern Roman gladiator events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame eateries and pubs all mount televisions on every wall, even Oriental restaurants often having at least one. Kai Sushi Cafe used to broadcast a long running US soap opera at lunchtime. ??? We're finding we don't miss eating out very much. :) So that's one plus. Be well!

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!