Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Thursday Thirteen - Songs with Breath in the Title

Listening to a station that’s not usually on my rotation, I heard a vaguely familiar and very haunting piece of music. Generous author Nicole Gordon from my Writer’s Retreat and Nightlight Blogs found the tune simply by knowing it was a female vocalist other than Faith Hill. It’s “Breathe (2 AM)” by Anna Nalick. I now own the full album “Wreck of the Day”.

Nicole even included lyrics, and I especially like this:
Here in town you can tell he's been down for a while,
But, my God, it's so beautiful when the boy smiles,
Wanna hold him. Maybe I'll just sing about it.

That’s sure to inspire an m/m story. Thanks, Nicole! And since I had such difficulty tracking this down due to the prominence of the word “breath” in titles, I decided to look and see what else my iPod contained. Here are 13 songs eulogizing that vital biologic process:

“Take My Breath Away” by Berlin: one of the most romantic cinematic songs ever, from “Top Gun”

“Breathe” by Bon Jovi: not a single, it’s nothing like what casual fans would expect, but a nice ballad nonetheless

“Breath” by Breaking Benjamin: I like the line “You took the breath right out of me and left a hole where my heart should be”

“Breathe” by Disturbed: David Draiman’s vocals make this great

“I’m Breathing… Are you Breathing Too?” by Envy on the Coast: I enjoyed this alternative band live and regret that they’re no longer together; live performances were better than the recordings!

“Breathe Today” by Flyleaf: good choice for a single

“The Trick is Keep Breathing” by Garbage: I’m still grateful for a coworker for introducing me to this female fronted group

“Breathing in Sequence” by Hawthorne Heights: It’s sad how the death of their guitarist is what I think first whenever I hear this music

“Locomotive Breath” by Jethro Tull: a classic, funky song

“Breathe” by Nickelback: The State is a ten year old album that still holds up well

“Speak to Me/Breathe” by Pink Floyd: epitomizes the album “Dark Side of the Moon” and never fails to lower my blood pressure

“Every Breath You Take” by The Police: reputedly about Sting’s stalker infatuation with his ex-wife

“Can’t Breathe” by Tanya Stephens: her song is a classic romantic lament with reggae style, very cool

10 comments:

  1. There are some really good songs in that list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very kewl topic for your T13, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh, who would think there would be so many songs with breathe in their titles. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool topic for a TT. There are some great songs on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Britney Spears has one too called "Breathe on Me" which is overlooked a lot in favor of her poppyier stuff.
    I love these songs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely some great songs on there. Thanks for sharing. Now I have to hunt through my collection to see what I have....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, for once iknow at least half of those! lol... I usually am so far out of the current loop that I'm lost. T=Some of these, tho are from my era :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool list! I'd forgotten about some of these songs, I used to love "Every Breath You Take"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How come my comment about "Take my Breath Away" from last week didn't post? Looks like I got caught in the spam filter again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the great comments! Alice, you should never be considered spam. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!